How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117408
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an american who got divorced in Haiti. I would like to

Customer Question

hello I am an american who got divorced in Haiti. I would like to register it in florida as I am getting remarried. How can I go about this ?
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: no my children are in college 21 and 19
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There really is no need or simple process to register the divorce in FL. If you are going to get married in another state, you need to present an original copy of the Hatian divorce order (with the original signatures and seals) to the clerk when getting your US marriage license. Otherwise, to simply try to file the divorce in FL, you have to file a Petition to Recognize Foreign Judgment and attach the Hatian judgment and ask the court to issue an order to recognize the judgment, but that means you would have to pay the filing fees for pretty much an unnecessary expense.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions