How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3987
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am needing advice about getting financial help for my

Customer Question

I am needing advice about getting financial help for my adult daughter who has been living with me for 7 months from her husband. My daughter is 55 years old and has been diagnosed with frontal temporal degeneration.I am able to care for my daughter but I feel it is her husband's responsibility to help financially as I am 74 years old and am on a fixed income.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 4 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If your daughter is competent she can file for a "legal separation" and temporary spousal support.

The legal separation keeps them married (in case there is health insurance or something else that she needs through the marriage. The Courts use a formula to determine the spousal support. The Spousal support is consodered temporary while the proceeds are ongoing and can be made permanent at the close of them.

If your daughter lacks the capacity to initiate the action you may seek to become her guardian andintitate them on her behalf.

Also in some circumstances the court can direct one spouse to pay the attorneys fees of the other.

It would be a good idea for you to consult with a local family law attorney to assist you. Most attorneys who do this work will meet with you to assess the case at little or no cost.

You can use this site to help find a local attorney:

Here is more information on support:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow up question and I do not respond immediately it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,