Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My fiancé and I are about to sign a prenuptial agreement…

My fiancé and I...

My fiancé and I are about to sign a prenuptial agreement without an attorney, will it be valid?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm going to print it out myself

4/12/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

As long as neither of you has an attorney, and you both have time to read and make a decision before signing, it's valid. You should each sign in front of a notary so the signatures will be upheld later if there is any question. Things that typically invalidate a prenup are when one spouse has an attorney and the other doesn't, or when one spouse writes and presents it right before the marriage with the statement that the marriage won't happen if it's not signed.

Also, each spouse must disclose their financial assets to the other before signing the agreement.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer