Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm looking to petition for a name change and am unsure of…

Hello, I'm looking to petition...
Hello, I'm looking to petition for a name change and am unsure of lawful reasons why. I feel that my current name does in fact affect my personal and professional opportunities. Is that grounds for petitioning a name change?
3/31/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

.

And you are wanting to change your name for personal/professional reasons only, correct?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Barrister. Thank you for taking my question.I live in NY and yes those are the sole reasons why I am seeking a name change. I firmly believe my sense of self and life under my birth name does not justify the individual I am and the professional direction I want to live.I do have another question.After having been referred to the DIY forms, I realized that it is only limited to a certain criteria e.g. a self litigator, legal services provider, or non profit/charitable organizations etc. This is not applicable to my situation and I've already begun the Petition for a Name Change form as well as filled out the RJI form. From what I understand on nycourts.gov, the name change (should the Justice approve the case) needs to be published in the newspaper. Are the reasons for the name change published as well?

Ok, the only requirements for a name change for an adult are that you are not doing so to avoid creditors or evade law enforcement. So as long as neither of those apply, you are fine to change your name for any reason you choose to.

.

After having been referred to the DIY forms, I realized that it is only limited to a certain criteria e.g. a self litigator, legal services provider, or non profit/charitable organizations etc. This is not applicable to my situation and I've already begun the Petition for a Name Change form as well as filled out the RJI form

.

You would qualify as a " court user and you don't have a lawyer;"

.

the name change (should the Justice approve the case) needs to be published in the newspaper. Are the reasons for the name change published as well?

.

No, only the notice is published to "put the world on notice" that you are transitioning from one name to another. The reasons behind it are not made public, although anyone could get a copy of the civil file and look at the case if they wanted to do so.

.

If you viewed the NY Courts site you can see the sample notice:

.

""Notice is hereby given that an order entered by the _______ court, ____county, on the ___ day of ___, bearing Index Number ____, a copy of which may be examined at the office of the clerk, located at ____, in room number ____, grants me the right to assume the name of ___________. The city and state of my address are ____________; the month and year of my birth are ____________; place of my birth is _________; my present name is ___________. ""

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much Barrister for telling me that I am a court user without a lawyer. I will go and apply via the DIY forms and will be glad to do so. I feel much better after consulting with you. Thank you again for your time - I really appreciate it!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do, have a great night and thank you again.
Barrister, Lawyer