Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I need to know if Dhs can be stopped as my daughter was told…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know if Dhs can be stopped as my daughter was told she was seeing a psychologist but in fact the person was a social worker and has rang Dhs cos I have a past of substance abuse and needle use which I am 9yrs clean, and Dhs has demanded a drug test without meeting myself or my children, thank you for your time

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria, Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The so called psychologist (social worker ) has reported to Dhs, shes concerned about substance abuse which my daughter has told her that it was my past but she has taken it on board that its now, I am 9yrs clean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know where I stand when its been a social worker the hole time speaking with my 17yr old daughter not a psychologist?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/30/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 11 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I am here to help you today. I’d like to review your question for a minute, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Generally speaking, DHS has very broad authority. DHS will likely see little difference and no cause for concern that your daughter's "psychologist" is actually a social worker, since social workers can provide good services, too. However, I see why you would be distressed about this subterfuge.

It is not unusual for DHS to demand a drug test even though they haven't met you or your children, given the circumstances. You may want to view a drug test as your way to show DHS you are clean.

Also, if you have any certificates of completion of substance abuse services from 9 years ago, send DHS a copy with a polite note stating briefly you are offering the document(s) to assist them in their evaluation.

If you quit "cold turkey" and don't have any such documentation, are there friends or employers who would write letters attesting to your sobriety, and to any other positive qualities about which they wish to provide comment?

It seems very unfair and wrong for DHS to make the demands they are, but they do hold pretty much all the cards, at this point. If you don't cooperate, it could negatively affect your daughter.

If you have other questions or if I can be of any further assistance, please just reply to continue. I hope I have given you good service today. Kindly chose a rating when you are ready.

Best wishes,

Sue

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney