Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Domestic Partnership. I am female. we have 2 kids and have

lived in Partners Home since...
Domestic Partnership. I am female. we have 2 kids and have lived in Partners Home since he bought it. If we separate, can he kick me out? or what is the process would he first have to "try" and get full physical custody of kids (ages 3 + 4).
I do not (nor ever) pay rent. However I pay the HOA (homeowners assoc) and all utilities.
3/26/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is this a registered domestic partnership?

With the city of San Francisco

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Your Questions:

Domestic Partnership. I am female. we have 2 kids and have lived in Partners Home since he bought it. If we separate, can he kick me out?

Response 1: No. He has to go to Court to obtain permission to kick you out.

or what is the process would he first have to "try" and get full physical custody of kids (ages 3 + 4).

Response 2: He would need to file Complaint/Application for Custody of the Children at the Superior Court in the County where the kids reside. In a custody case, the Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the children by looking at the living arrangement of the parties to the custody dispute, their lifestyles, associations, parenting skills, education opportunity for the children, etc. If the Court finds after reviewing these factors that the children would be better off living with your partner, the Court would grant his application for custody. Otherwise, the Court would deny his application. So, it is very important that if or when he files the Complaint for Custody of the Children that you file your answer and tell the Court while his complaint/application must be rejected. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,

Thanks. So if the courts decide 50/ 50 custody of children then would the courts then decide living arrangements (ur. will he be able to request that I leave?) He makes about 250k / year. I make about 80k/ year. Thanks

He can file request with the Court for you to vacate the home. It would then be up to the Court to decide whether to grant or deny his request based on the evidence provided by the parties.

Kindly take a minute and use the popup screen to give a 5-star rating to my response so that I can receive proper credit for addressing your concerns. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law