Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In 2013 my ex was found in contempt of court for not paying…

Customer Question
In 2013 my ex...

In 2013 my ex was found in contempt of court for not paying his child support. It was removed from the office a recovery and the $20,000 was to be paid to me in monthly installments for the next seven years Until it was paid in full with no more than four months of missed payments. FYI I should have never agreed to this arrangement but, I did . To make a long story short he has made approximately nine payments equaling $900 on a $20,000 bill and he lives in North Dakota. He has a garnishment of his wages On his current child support and right now he is in the wind. I would like to know if I can find him in contempt of court and he can go to jail or if I can turn this into a civil case and retrieve some of the money that is owed to me? The state of Idaho is working with North Dakota to try and get the money that he owes currently but, I still have $20,000 that he owes And he's not paying. What's my best course of action?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in Idaho and he lives in North Dakota. The case took place in Idaho, Bannock County. The judge found him in one contempt of court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I know there is a time limit before the statute runs out, what is that? Is there any way of turning the $20,000 back over to the office of recovery ? Is it better to go after the money in contempt case or can it be turned into a civil case? He owns things in North Dakota but, they are under his wives Or relatives names.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can he go to jail? Can I collect on his material items even though his wife has her name on them too? Anyway I can do anything because he is purposely hiding from court?
3/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to go back to Court in Idaho and have the Court find him in contempt once more and put him in jail until he pays the amount due. Going the contempt route would be the best way to force him to pay the amount in arrears.

Statute of Limitations for Court Judgment is six years.

Goodluck with your case,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law