Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am the mother of a handicapped 37 yr. old son who has a…

Customer Question
I am the mother...

I am the mother of a handicapped 37 yr. old son who has a mental function of 6 months. I need to become his legal guardian and get power of attorney for him. My husband passed away last month and my son's insurance company won't talk to me without it. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed for widow's benefits through social security for myself. I got my son's bank account into my name as "payee" for him. I receive EBT through DHS for food. He has I think Medicare -- maybe Medicaid but I don't even know how to find that out. I'm lost in a mountain of paperwork I don't understand and unfamiliar with, and I can't turn off my tears and think straight.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Michael (my son) really needs a wheelchair that fits him properly. I also need some kind of ramp for my 2002 van so I can get him to and from the doctor's office. I don't know if that would be something his Molina insurance would cover or if I have to do that myself. Need help.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/22/2017
Family Lawyer: AttyHeather, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

You need to file a case with the court and ask for a guardianship and conservatorship. Getting those orders will allow you to legally take care of him and make decisions for him. Does that help?

AttyHeather
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer