Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm considering moving into an apartment with my boyfriend…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm considering moving...

Hi, I'm considering moving into an apartment with my boyfriend and he has agreed to contribute a certain amount for rent and utilities. I was thinking of writing up a contract for this agreement, but is there any better way to make this happen? I am a little concerned because he says if we move to this place, he will contribute to rent, however at the moment I am responsible for all rent and utilities

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
3/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A written contract is the best way for the two of you to lay out your obligations. That also allows you to have him evicted if he stops paying. Without a contract, it could be difficult to convince a court that he was supposed to pay utilities if he stops. A landlord may also require that both of you be on the lease, so it could help to include in the agreement a clause where he promises to be the one to move out if things go wrong. Otherwise, if you have a one year lease with the landlord and a one-year agreement with your boyfriend, you won't have grounds to make him leave in the event of a break-up. A contract can help you plan in advance for that possibility.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?