Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my sons bio dad wont agree to a name change how likely…

If my sons bio...

If my sons bio dad wont agree to a name change how likely will the courts rule in my favor? im married now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, i just found out hes been paying support to missouri, initially we planned for my husband to adopt my son, but we were told since the bio dad has been paying that likely wont happen.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Yeah i am

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment thank you :]

3/3/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what does the child want?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hes only 4, he has no relationship at all with the bio dad. he has not been active in his life since he was 6 months old

Generally the court will do so where the child wants the change. Here the court is more likely to wait until child is older and encourage parents to agree.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as for the idea of my husband adopting that is probably unlikely.. i know the bio dad wont sign his rights away. and hes been paying child support since 14'. we have no custody agreements whatsoever, would it be the best option to go that route vs. doing an adoption?

Best to seek out an agreement to cut down on costs and litigation, but otherwise would wait until child is a little older to ask for a court decision backed by what child wants too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would custody change at all or would I still be the sole custodian?

would not change.

I trust my answers are clear and fast

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry last question, is it possible if its in the best interest to do like an open adoption where the bio dad still gets contact but doesn't have to pay child support?

Sure, but think hard if you want to give up the child support as that has value and aid to you and the child.

Kindly rate me give stars.

Infolawyer, Lawyer