Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughters biological father wants to go to court to get…

My daughters biological father wants...
My daughters biological father wants to go to court to get visitation rights.BackgroundMy daughter is going to be 7 in June, she has never meet her boo dad due to him beating us when she was a baby. I had an order of protection on him till she turn 6. He is on child support but doesn't pay. My husband has been raising her since she was 3 and wishes to adopt her. I have full custody of her. Would it be hard for my husband to adopt her.
2/28/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No the court can well terminate the bio dads rights and grant the step parent adoption.The father can be terminated for non support and the step parent adoption is in the best interest of the child.You have real good chances to have this granted.

An adoption can proceed without consent if there are statutory grounds for unfitness of the parent.

Some of these statutory grounds are abandonment, failure to maintain a reasonable degree of interest or responsibility as to the child's welfare, desertion of the child for more than three months preceding the beginning of the adoption proceeding, substantial neglect and physical abuse.

Additional grounds are depravity, failure to show concern for a newborn child during the first 30 days after its birth, failure to make a good faith effort to pay a reasonable amount of the expenses related to the birth of the child and failure to provide a reasonable amount of financial support for the child. Non-payment of child support may be the basis for adoption.

I hope you will pursue this as the best thing for the child here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long would a case like this take? And about how much would it cost?

You will need a layer here.It may run $750-$1k or so for the lawyer and filing fees.It would take 30-60 days here form start to finish.

Lawyer referral

http://www.lawyers.com/family-law/mississippi/find-law-firms-by-city/

Good luck with the adoption, thanks for rating 5 stars.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the cost for Illinois?

http://www.lawyers.com/child-custody/illinois/find-law-firms-by-city/

Here is the correct like to lawyer referral

Shop the fee here and see what you can get, it matters here if you could take the bio dad into consenting.But this is certainly possible whether he agrees or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would be the odds or me loosing. He likes to make judges mad.

Here he hasn't done anything, no support , no involvement, he has real good odds of loosing.You have great facts here.

Thanks again and the best here.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer