How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42862
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters biological father wants to go to court to get

This answer was rated:

My daughters biological father wants to go to court to get visitation rights.BackgroundMy daughter is going to be 7 in June, she has never meet her boo dad due to him beating us when she was a baby. I had an order of protection on him till she turn 6. He is on child support but doesn't pay. My husband has been raising her since she was 3 and wishes to adopt her. I have full custody of her. Would it be hard for my husband to adopt her.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

No the court can well terminate the bio dads rights and grant the step parent adoption.The father can be terminated for non support and the step parent adoption is in the best interest of the child.You have real good chances to have this granted.

An adoption can proceed without consent if there are statutory grounds for unfitness of the parent.

Some of these statutory grounds are abandonment, failure to maintain a reasonable degree of interest or responsibility as to the child's welfare, desertion of the child for more than three months preceding the beginning of the adoption proceeding, substantial neglect and physical abuse.

Additional grounds are depravity, failure to show concern for a newborn child during the first 30 days after its birth, failure to make a good faith effort to pay a reasonable amount of the expenses related to the birth of the child and failure to provide a reasonable amount of financial support for the child. Non-payment of child support may be the basis for adoption.

I hope you will pursue this as the best thing for the child here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long would a case like this take? And about how much would it cost?

You will need a layer here.It may run $750-$1k or so for the lawyer and filing fees.It would take 30-60 days here form start to finish.

Lawyer referral

Good luck with the adoption, thanks for rating 5 stars.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that the cost for Illinois?

Here is the correct like to lawyer referral

Shop the fee here and see what you can get, it matters here if you could take the bio dad into consenting.But this is certainly possible whether he agrees or not.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What would be the odds or me loosing. He likes to make judges mad.

Here he hasn't done anything, no support , no involvement, he has real good odds of loosing.You have great facts here.

Thanks again and the best here.

RayAnswers and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you