Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is filing for child support and visitation the same as sole

custody or is it different...
is filing for child support and visitation the same as sole custody or is it different, do you have to file for sole custody separately?
1/13/2017
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When either parent files for visitation, the judge will make a decision regarding where the child is going to live. As part of a decision on child support and visitation, the judge will name one parent as the primary custodial parent. A parent who wants sole custody, though, would file a Petition for Sole Custody and Child Support, rather than a request for visitation.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer