How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27454
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a baby boy that was given to our family to adopt but

Customer Question

I have a baby boy that was given to our family to adopt but because of the state that we live in he had to be here 6mons before we can adopt...The lawyer that was going to do for us for free left town and I didn't know about now I don't know what to do...
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: alaska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet just the paperwork from the hospital
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That we were adopting him
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Are you asking where to find a pro bono (free) family lawyer in Alaska?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Only the biological mom is around and she doesn't know who the father is...
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the reply, but I am not sure what your question is.

Are you asking where to find a pro bono (free) family lawyer in Alaska to assist with this adoption?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm asking on what would be my best option? Do I need to go through a lawyer or can I just file it myself? Since the birth mom is consenting... and yes where do I find a free family lawyer in Alaska to help me...
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Every state has agencies that offer pro bono assistance to civil litigants. Your state has a volunteer agency in Anchorage that handles adoption issues for free. Even if you could not get a lawyer to handle the matter directly, you would want hands on advice before filing anything yourself with the courts. Here's the information that I have for your state.

Also you can check out area law schools if there’s one near you.. They typically would have a family law clinic which would take on cases for people in the community and which are either free or have a sliding fee scale. Law students handle actual cases for course credit under the supervision of a professor/lawyer.

Many of these have fine reputations and if a lawyer is needed to go to court on the matter, the professor handles the case before the judge.

Again, you may have to make a lot of phone calls, but in the end you should be able to get some hands-on assistance.

Good luck!

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.