Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If an abusive spouse is using the legal system, specifically

Customer Question

If an abusive spouse is using the legal system, specifically the use of depositions, to harass, intimidate, and drive up the legal costs... Is there any way to get out of a deposition - especially after one has already been given and now they are asking for more time? I am in Los Angeles, CA - Los Angeles County
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $5 more I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is the abusive spouse represented by an attorney?

2. What was the reason given for the need for a second deposition of the same witness?

3. Is the abused person represented by counsel?

4. What "time" is being asked for?

5. How many sets of discovery have been served on the abused person by the abuser?

6. What are the disputes that are being litigated in this case? Is this a divorce case? A post-divorce matter?

7. How long ago was the matter filed with the court?

Thanks in advance,

Doug