How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1 question. My grandson who lives with me is turning 18. his

Customer Question

1 question. My grandson who lives with me is turning 18. his mom has received support for years and we never saw a nickel. Does he become eligible to get these benefits at 18?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: NewJersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Are you talking about child support or other payments such as Social Security? IF SS, is he still in high school?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
child support through probation and he graduates high school this year
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

yes I am here. Sorry,i was answering another question.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Normally child support is paid through age 18 but it can be provided for through the court order for longer (such as here through graduation). Child support is normally not paid to the child. Normally the spouse paying the support no longer has to pay if the child is no longer living with the ex spouse but again you will need to check the order to be sure (if it is not included then it would default to not having to pay if not living with the ex spouse). If you are taking care of the child it si possible to get support from the father and you should talk to him and he could start paying to you as the mother has no right to take support if it is not going to care for the child. Again, the ocurt order may provide for this but if it doesn't you may ask the father to pay to you and if need be, petition the court to stop paying to the mother and pay to you (the grandparents).

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate: