How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to a police officer for 23 years. He was

Customer Question

I was married to a police officer for 23 years. He was abusive. We have been divorced for almost 3 years. My daughter and I moved 1300 miles to get away and be safe. He still finds ways to "get to us." I was never able to ask questions in our former state. I know that some of the things he did using his job and co-workers were and abuse of powers. what rights do i have vs their right to not be prosecuted "while in the line of duty?"
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We lived in Kansas until this summer. For our safety, my daughter and I moved to Idaho in June this past summer. The abuse has changed in nature, but not stopped.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Because his department protected him, still protects him, there is very little documentation. I have one number for a police report, but they would never release it to me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: One instance that has the most documentation was when he used his co-workers to attempt to forcible commit me without going before a judge. that involved a lot of police and firefighters helping him, and there would/should be records from the hospital
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 months ago.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.