How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have moved and need to change the address that my alimony

Customer Question

I have moved and need to change the address that my alimony check goes to. How do I do this? My attorney has retired...
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sure....I'm in Santa Cruz, CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Do I need to hire an attorney for a change of address? Just starting by talking with you.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to change the address my alimony is sent to...
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

That's not something you need to notify the court over and it doesn't require filing any documentation with the court (you wouldn't want to put anything with your address into the court record anyway, since it's public). You can simply notify your former spouse that you have moved and that all future payments are to go to your new address. So there is a written record of the request, I would put it in writing, such as an email.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My ex-husband was told by his employer that they could not change the address. Their payroll is handled by an outside firm, ADP. I DONT KNOW IF THAT IS PART OF THE ISSUE OR NOT. He was told that I had to go thru an attorney. I called and I was also told the same.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.

I'm not familiar with why a lawyer would have to get involved, so I'll opt out and open the question back up to other legal experts online. Kindly do not reply back to me as that will delay other experts from being able to view the question and possibly therefore delay someone from responding to you.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor left, he was correct in that you do not need a lawyer though, but see below and we will see if we can give you the information to get this done yourself.
Who issued the garnishment order, was it the court or was it child support enforcement?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was the court I think. It is on the notice of stipulation and I asked my attorney to set up the garnish option because I didn't trust that my ex would write a check and send it regularly. Unfortunately my attorney has retired and I can't ask him to change the address.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

The address can be changed through filing an ex parte notice to change/modify order, you fill out all of the money amounts and everything exactly the same as it is now and you check off Block 7 (

where they say modification and the reason is to change address of payee to and give your new address, then below you go to other, stating that there has been a change of address and payroll needs to send payments to the new address. You file that with an FL 300 form request for order (

Once the court signs that and issues the order you serve it by mail on the employer. You do not need an attorney to fill these out and once you fill them out you file them with the clerk to get the order to change your address.