How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you tell me if after a case has been decided in court

Customer Question

Please, can you tell me if after a case has been decided in court with both parties representing themselves, decisions made, married for 3 years, on and off relationship for 10 years prior to marriage, then divorce settled in court in 2014, can the ex-wife re-open the case with legal counsel representing her now in 2017?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ventura Ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am requesting information for the defendant, the ex-husband who was asked to pay $26,000 and actually paid $30,000 (nice rounded number) and bought ex-wife a car for $8,000. Ex-wife filed Jan 4, 2017 with new representation other than herself.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What would she be reopening it for exactly? For example, to try to lower/raise alimony, etc.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are assuming raise alimony that has already been paid off in one payment back in 2015
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your reply. Modifying alimony can be attempted later on. However, there is no guarantee that she'd be successful, as she'd have to prove a material change in circumstance to warrant such a request. See HERE.

So yes, she can try to modify alimony. However, it does not mean the Court will agree with her.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).