Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a question regarding child custody.

Customer Question
Hi! I have a question...
Hi! I have a question regarding child custody.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us?

Have you ever heard of shared parenting between 3 people. I have a son the birth mother and I are friends... She was in a relationship with a female they are not married and do not have anything written on paper. The birth mother and I are on the same page. I was told to go downtown and file for joint parenting. Which I did. The girlfriend and I are basically going for shared parenting. I'm on the birth certificate and the girlfriend is not. So again my question is do you see them giving me and the girlfriend shared parenting or just me and the birth mother
This would be a VERY RARE issue. Normally, no there is no such thing unless the girlfriend were involved with raising the child since an infant the court would not agree to such a shared parenting arrangement as this GF is not a blood relative of the child. If the child was raised by the GF just as a parent such that such a strong bond developed as a de facto parent, that is the only time a court would consider such a shared parenting arrangement.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer