How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a procedure for changing a certificate of birth if

Customer Question

Is there a procedure for changing a certificate of birth if there is an error on the certificate?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ohio
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The certificate has been filed and a birth certificate has been issued.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There has been a filing in a court in Ohio to correct the certificate. Not sure what has happened in that situation.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a bit and I will get you an answer drafted.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Birth affidavits should be used to correct minor spelling and data entry errors on original records. They should not be used to change items, especially race, gender or year of birth. To change or correct an item, which will result in a new certificate, you will need to get a Court Ordered Correction. See link for affidavit correction of birth record:

You can call(###) ###-####for assistance in completing the affidavit.

When a legal change of name has been granted to a person whose birth occurred since December 20, 1908, the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics, can accept a certified copy of the court ordered legal change of name to update the birth record. The court order must have been granted by a probate court. Some courts may send the certified copy directly to the office, while some may require the petitioner to do so. The exact wording in the court order will be referenced when the birth name is changed. The new information as listed on the court order is the information that will be reflected in the updated birth record. Please call(###) ###-####for assistance prior to sending the certified paperwork to that office.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site for my time with you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions if you feel your questions has not been fully answered. See link on how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?