How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118660
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If a person got married in New york state in 1998, but the marriage was never registered and never had a licence is the marriage legal? was it ever a legal marriage? how would I prove or disprove the validity?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Marriage without a license or registration in NY is not considered a valid legal marriage. However, if at least one of the spouses were in good faith in the marriage, they can get common law benefits from a marriage before the marriage is declared void by the court. So, there can still be benefits flowing from the voidable marriage entered into without a license and without registration. This means that the party in good faith could actually get their marital share of the marital community and even spousal support.
So, while the marriage is voidable, there can still be some consequences.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How would I get the marriage voided?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You would have to file a suit in Supreme Court Civil Division to void the marriage, just like a divorce. If either party was in good faith, then you would also ask the court to divide the property if you cannot agree upon the division and potentially spousal support as well.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if I was to file to get the marriage voided, would my former partner be able to contest it just as if it were a divorce?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes if you file a petition to void your marriage, that is no different in court than filing a divorce and the other partner would have a chance to file an answer and object and try to prove how the marriage was legal and legitimate. IF they are able to do so, that only means the court handles it like a divorce and not like a voided marriage.