Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am paying child support in Nevada and California for my

I am paying child support in Nevada and California for my children. They are taking my wages for the same children in two states. How is that possible I only make 11.00 a hour. I got a part time job and California has a wage order on that job. What are my options?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in California and my children are in Nevada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No but I am going to the child support office tommorrow
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just that
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If child support does not agree to stop the garnishment upon you proving that you are being garnished in NV for the same debt, then you need to file a petition in CA court to ask them to terminate garnishment and prove that you are being garnished already from NV. They should not be executing two garnishment orders on the same child support order, so you need to seek to get CA to cease if the original state is garnishing your wages already.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you

Thank you for your reply.