Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I'm looking for information on what facts I should include

Customer Question
Hi there, I'm looking for...
Hi there, I'm looking for information on what facts I should include to support a request for order requiring my spouse to get a job. He is requesting spousal support but chooses not to work full time.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in Marin County, California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have, but I'm putting together the forms myself. I'm mostly looking for examples of the type of language that is used in the supporting documents, but can't seem to find anything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. thank you!
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
1/4/2017
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You cannot ask the Judge to order him to get a job - this is not something that can be done.

What CAN be done is that someone in your situation can make the argument to the Judge that he is underemployed on purpose and thus, that factor should be considered when the Judge decides on alimony. The Court will consider this when it is time to decide one alimony, and that factor can possibly be enough to have the Court minimize or deny alimony.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law