AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I need advice as to where to start. I am a recovering drunk

Customer Question

Hello. I need advice as to where to start. I am a recovering drunk with almost a year sobriety. I lived in Oregon and was forced ny Curry County to sign over my parental rights. They threatened that if I didn't volunteer they would bring into court all my family and friends and dig up everything anyone ever did. I need to fight for my daughter because she needs a chance to be with her mommy. Please help!
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My DHS case is in Oregon but my daughter is in Texas. I have moved home to CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I had a lawyer in oregon and he advised me to give up
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live in Santa Barbara now with my family. We are all willing to fight hard to get our girl back. I realize I will have to fight my baby sister.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

I have defended quite a few cases like this against natural parents who want to fight for their parental rights. It will probably be an uphill battle. If your child is not with you right now, you need to do things that a noncustodial parent would do, like sending money for child support (even if not court ordered) and sending presents and cards for the child. You should try to make contact with the child through letters and phone calls. But, cases like this are really hard without a great attorney in your corner. Does that make sense?