Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter's husband is a very aggressive abuser

Customer Question

My daughter's husband is a very aggressive abuser emotionally and verbally to her, and now says he wants a divorce--they have 5 children.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: They are in Illinois..Which spouse should leave the home? Legally does it matter which one?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, but this time things sound explosive and probably they will separate.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think she is afraid to stay in the house and of course can come to me--just 10 minutes away. Does this affect her legal status?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

If she is in fear and afraid, she does not have to stay in the home and be subject to the abuse. The issue is who is going to take care of the kids, if she vacates but if she has to get out of there, as a result of his behavior, it should not be used against her. It is not a situation whereby she is abandoning the home or children and she would not give up or forfeit any legal right, which she may be entitled to, if she leaves for her own protection.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!