How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sue Your Own Question
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 148
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sue is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The woman I want to marry is from the Philippines She has a

Customer Question

The woman I want to marry is from the Philippines She has a green card and lives with her sister in Houston I met her online. I want to know what she would be entitled to if we marry, how it would effect my credit rating as she has no job and no money and what else I should be concerned about
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: She lives in Houston Tx We will be living in Georia; We met online about a month ago
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare a response.

Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

OK, this is a family law question. I need to transfer this question to the family law category. Please be patient, as this will take some time. Please do not respond here, as this will only service to delay the response from another Expert.

Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

If you have any immigration questions, please post them and I will answer them. If you do not, then let me know and I will transfer it to family law now.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have no other questions at this time. By the way I am 76 and she is 46. You can transfer now
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR in family law.
Your marriage in Texas or any other state would not generally impact your credit rating. You do not become liable for her separate debts upon marriage, but because you could be liable for debts obtained during the marriage, I would suggest you create a separate property regime through a pre nuptial agreement stating your assets remain separate from her assets and debts during the marriage.
You should also have a will designating what she would get. If not, if you marry, upon your death if you have descendants (children) they would share your estate with the surviving spouse 50-50. A prenuptial agreement and a will also protects you from her coming in and taking you for all of your money and leaving or having an affair on you while just sucking up your money and the prenuptial can provide she would get nothing if she engages in any conduct that can cause the break up of the marriage.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Expert:  Sue replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am Sue, a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I am here to help you today.

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

I agree with Law Educator, Esq. You'll want to protect your assets, particularly given the facts you cite.

Is there anything else we can do for you?