How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife pulled a gun on me and told me that she was "going

Customer Question

My wife pulled a gun on me and told me that she was "going to put a bullet between my eyes" and to get out while pointing a gun at me. Her daughter who was there and is 23 got between the gun and I while her son who is 17 held her back. My daughter who is 21 was there and she and I fled the house and filed police charges. We now have a protective order on her and for two weeks until our court date to expand it up to two years.
She has joint custody of her 17 year old son (who turns 18 in two weeks) with his father. She receives child support for her 17 year old and is filing papers with the court to extend the child support until their son finishes school. She has told her daughter and her son that she doesn't want them to tell their father about any of this.
I feel that her father should get emergency custody of her son for his safety. However, I am unsure how to contact him.I also am paying on a car and we a house in both of our names. I would like her to continue to pay her share of the bills. Is this possible?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for the information, can you tell me what your legal question is?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are there legal documents that I can get to have her continue to pay her share of the bills while we are separated? Is there paperwork I could file ensure that her son gets with his father for emergency custody?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

I am not available at this time, so I will opt out and let someone else assist you.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.

different expert here. Normally one woud work out a separation agreement between the parties that covers custody and debt payments. If the parties cannot resolve this, either party can file in court to secure a court order to this effect. Often a lawyer letter convinces the other side to enter an agreement since litigaton will cost both sides money and loss of time.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if that is clear.

I can also provide a pair of directories for hiring local counsel to pursue this. Let me know.

Thanks and happy new year.