How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child will be 18 in 35 days. She is very smart and goes

Customer Question

My child will be 18 in 35 days. She is very smart and goes to a fantastic private boarding school. She has gotten into great colleges and several are in the top 50 in the nation. She scores in the top 1% of students in the nation. That's the good stuff. Here's the bad
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TN She is unruly and when she doesn't want to do things she just refuses. She has snuck out of her dorm 3 times and lied saying she was going home We took away her car and now every day she is disruptive. She is alientating her family and is saying she will basically blow up all her plans for college and move out and transfer schools. She is in counseling but is now refusing to go back I SHe has cussed me out on muliptle occasions sshe has walked out of the house without permission I don't want her to move out, I want her to have to coninute attending school and go to college
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet her counselor mentioned an unruly child or incorrigable
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She has changed since she has been dating this 18 year old who is out of high school and he has been picked up 3 times for marijuana possession.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What can be done to get my teen back on track before she moves out in 35 days. She is being defiant, verbally cussing, leaving school and lying about it on multiple occasions. She even lied and went and got her former or current (not sure) boyfriend out of jail on his 3 offense of marijuana possession. She has gotten involved with the wrong crowd and won't listen
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did you see the previous items I submitted?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again.

There isn't any legal action that you can take. It sounds like you need a family therapist to be involved. Accordingly, I don't think that I'll be able to provide you with a useful answer. However, it's quite likely that another attorney at this website will be able to do so. I will open your question for other attorneys to review. Your patience is appreciated. :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok - she is refusing family counseling and is refusing to continue with her own counseling.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as it appears your previous contributor did not want to be the bearer of bad news to you.
Unfortunately, if she is going to be 18 in 35 days, there is very little that you can do for her at this point through the legal system. The legal system considers someone at her age who is just getting ready to become a legal adult to be something of an anomaly in that while they are subject to parental control and guardianship there is little the court or parents have that they can do to the child because they will be an adult before the effect of anything can be realized.
One thing you can consider is if she is using drugs and is engaging in behavior that makes her a danger to herself and others would be seeking to go to court for an order of involuntary commitment. At least this way she can be brought into see a psychiatrist for a minimum 72 hour hold for them to examine her. Unfortunately, if they find she is not a danger to herself or others, they have to release her and at that point you would need to consider perhaps tough love of cutting her of financially completely and let her fend for herself until she comes back around.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.