How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im trying to find out how to make my ex / court to stop

Customer Question

Im trying to find out how to make my ex / court to stop stalling on my custody case
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We do have a laywer, it has been 2 years and we still havent seen a judge. She says she will agree to the terms, which cancels our court date and the. Doesnt sign anything and then the process starts all over again
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to find out if i need to contact the court or my congressman to get this moving. It just doesnt seem right that she can keep cancleing the court date
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning:

I will try to best answer your question.

Your description of the case progress does not sound right at all. I have never canceled a hearing or reported an agreement was reached to the Court until the agreement is signed by all parties and counsel and is in hand. This is to avoid the exact delay tactics you have experienced. I can understand how that could happen once, but not multiple times or for as long as you have described.

I am surprised that your attorney has allowed this to go on for as long as it has. I do not like to critique other attorneys when I am not familiar with all of the facts. However, your situation seems like an experienced family law attorney should be aware of and able to avoid or minimize. I would strongly suggest seeking a second opinion to review the history of the case and the course of the litigation.

I hope that this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Telling me that an experienced attorney should know what to do is obivous and does not help me one little bit. I need to know who else i cam talk to like contacting my congressman aince none of this seems right
Customer: replied 5 months ago.