How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4189
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband pulled a gun on me in 1-06 16 I was shy. There

Customer Question

My husband pulled a gun on me in 1-06 16 I was shy. There was video tape from the police. I have a Danco on him for me and at the time my 16 year old son. i caved in and let him get jail time instead of prison, even though my prosecutter for the state said I should have. I've verbaby, menantally and physically abused for the last 12 years of our marriage. I need to divorce him ,but he is the bread winner. He works at Minneapolis post office, He makes tripple what I make. Sorry that I am rammbling on I'm at my wits end. I don't think i can keep up with bills and groceries for my kids on my income, There is more but I will let you soak this in
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: For divorce wise not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this going to cost money that can't afford right now
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 9 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

There are many ways in which the court system can help you through the divorce process. You can be awarded temporary spousal support and child support during the process of being divorced. Also the court can direct that your husband liquidate certain marital assets so that your attorney fees can be paid. Sometimes the court can direct your husband to pay your attorneys fees.

Also you may be awarded permanent spousal support as well as child support. All of these things are available and are awarded based upon your income versus his income.

So there is no reason for you to remain in a marriage where you are abused and threatened and afraid,

There are many attorneys who will work with you and you can use this link to help find one near you.

Also you may be able to get assistance from Legal Aid or be referred to an attorney who will represent you pro bono (no fee).

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,