How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Son and his girlfriend have refused for me to see my

Customer Question

My Son and his girlfriend have refused for me to see my 8month grandson. Do I have any rights as a grandparent in PA?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Yes, grandparents do have rights in certain situations.

According to the Pennsylvania Custody and Grandparents' Visitation Act, grandparents may petition a court for partial custody and visitation under specific circumstances:

  • Upon the death of a birth parent
  • When parents are divorced or have been separated for six months or more
  • When a child has resided with a grandparent for 12 months or more, followed by the child being removed by a parent

In each of these instances, a court will try to determine what situation will be best for the child and what will best serve the child for his or her future. Before a court will award visitation or custody, however, many factors are taken into account including:

  • The child's emotional, physical and emotional well-being
  • The past relationship between the child and his or her grandparents
  • The child's preferences (if applicable based on age)
  • The potential impact on a child's social and intellectual growth (schooling and extracurricular activities)
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions