FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My Son and his girlfriend have refused for me to see my

Customer Question

My Son and his girlfriend have refused for me to see my 8month grandson. Do I have any rights as a grandparent in PA?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Yes, grandparents do have rights in certain situations.

According to the Pennsylvania Custody and Grandparents' Visitation Act, grandparents may petition a court for partial custody and visitation under specific circumstances:

• Upon the death of a birth parent
  • When parents are divorced or have been separated for six months or more
  • When a child has resided with a grandparent for 12 months or more, followed by the child being removed by a parent

In each of these instances, a court will try to determine what situation will be best for the child and what will best serve the child for his or her future. Before a court will award visitation or custody, however, many factors are taken into account including:

• The child's emotional, physical and emotional well-being
  • The past relationship between the child and his or her grandparents
  • The child's preferences (if applicable based on age)
  • The potential impact on a child's social and intellectual growth (schooling and extracurricular activities)

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!