Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son goes to a public school in a different school

Customer Question

My son goes to a public school in a different school district than where I live. The court has ordered me to move out of the family home by January 5th. If I move into the school district where my son goes to school, do I have to file a formal notice with time for objection, or am I in the clear since it's not moving my child's school district even though I am moving out of our current school district?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you clarify?

What is the Court's Order with regard to relocation?

Are you supposed to notify your ex or the Court if you are moving to the your son's school district?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's where things are ambiguous. The court orders state that if you're moving from the school district, you have to give 60 days notice and time for ex to object. However, if you're not moving from the school district, you can give informal notice and there is no stipulation about objection.

Thank you for the information.

In this case, all you have to do is to give an informal notice; no formal notice is needed. Give your ex your new address once you have relocated since you are relocating to the your son's school district and not moving from it.

Best wishes,