How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4186
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed uncontested divorce paperwork in new york filed by

Customer Question

i signed uncontested divorce paperwork in new york filed by my wife as the plaintiff and me as defendant 6 months ago and i find out now that attorney has never filed paperwork with the court, i signed affadivdt and all other documents he notarized them in july 2016 , i call him and i am getting the run around telling me he will file them today and i check with court its not done he has an index# ***** am seeking nothing and there is no real estate , kids or anything what are my options?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i did new york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: did you read my email
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i need to speak to a lawyer in this area
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you are having this difficulty. It is frustrating when licensed professionals do not fulfill their obligations as you rightfully expect them to do.

At this point you have two choices:

1) Send the attorney a letter by certified mail demanding that he rectify the situation immediately or you will file a complaint with the NY Disciplinary Board:

2) Start over and file the the Divorce papers using another attorney or do it yourself. This resource will help you if you decide to do this yourself:

I wish I had a different and faster option for you, but unfortunately it appears that this attorney has treated you and your wife poorly.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,