How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sue Your Own Question
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 131
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sue is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a marriage annulled it has been sense

Customer Question

How do I get a marriage annulled it has been sense Valentine's Day this year
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TherapistLeslie replied 8 months ago.

Good morning and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

A marriage can be annulled through the Catholic parish you are a member of. The process is meeting with the priest so he fully understands the dynamics of the relationship. There is then an extensive application that he will provide for you to complete. Once completed, the application is then reviewed and approved or denied. The process can be a bit lengthy but is certainly worth the process.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Expert:  Sue replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am a licensed family court attorney with over 35 years' experience.

In addition to the excellent suggestions made by the first expert, if you are not Catholic, you should be able to access self-help forms in your judicial district by searching on line for "Judiciary, State of _." More and more courts are offering on-line and in person self-help services at the court house.

My suggestion is to view the forms available on-line to see if there is a petition or motion that allows you to request annulment. If there is none, you can ask the self-help counter at your local family court.

You may also want to search on the web to familiarize yourself with the grounds upon which a court can grant a request for annulment in your State. That can most easily be done by searching on-line for "annulment" in your State.

If you need more help, please reply to continue.

I hope I have given you excellent service today. Kindly chose a rating.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Judicial alnnulment
Expert:  Sue replied 8 months ago.

My email indicated you responded to my message, but this chain shows no writing.

Is there anything I can do to assist you further?


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I Thank you very much I will see if I can go on line at the court house and apply for a alnnulment on line Thank You
Expert:  Sue replied 8 months ago.

Wayde, you are welcome. If you want to send your city and State, I can look for the grounds upon which annulment is granted in your State.

All the best,


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live in
Salt Lake City, Utah
Expert:  Sue replied 8 months ago.

Wayde, here are the grounds upon which annulment can be granted in Utah, with a link to the relevant Utah State Courts' webpage:

The circumstances in which the court can order a marriage annulled are limited. Under Utah Code Section 30-1-17.1 a marriage can be annulled only for one of the following reasons:

  • One person was married to someone else, including if that person's divorce decree was not yet final.
  • One person was under 18, and that person's parent did not consent to the marriage.
  • One person was under 14 (if the marriage was before May 3, 1999) or under 16 (if the marriage was on or after May 3, 1999).
  • The marriage was between parties of the same sex*.
  • The marriage was between close relatives (such as a brother and sister) who are not permitted to marry.

Length of marriage is not a legal ground for annulment under Utah's statute. Although not mentioned in the statute, a marriage can also be annulled for reasons recognized by the court, such as misrepresentation, fraud or refusal to consummate the marriage.

The link, if the above embedded link doesn't work, is

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Is there anything else with which I can assist you on this question?


Related Family Law Questions