Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do i provide proof of common law marriage in the state…

How do i provide...

How do i provide proof of common law marriage in the state of texas after my husband has passed away?

Lawyer's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the Lawyer to go over that information with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want the lawyer to know?

Not at this moment

12/1/2016
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under most circumstances where you need proof for some reason, generally a sworn and notarized statement by 2 of your partner's blood relatives attesting to the existence of the common law marriage is sufficient proof. Otherwise, you will have to rely on sworn statements by other family members, friends who have known you two, clergy, or other people living in the city where you lived with your husband. Additional proof would be the presentation of joint tax returns, and proof of joint loans made to the two of you as husband and wife.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you the best this holiday season and in the coming New Year!

Doug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for your quick reply, i do have 2 statements one from his son and one from his daughter, that i have used for the Social Security claim, but they not notarized. the statements where accepted at the Social Security office.

And social security may choose to accept a non-notarized statement. If they did that is great. But my advise was to ensure that you would not have a problem.

So, what is your question? Do you have a new question?

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, and for your generous bonus. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug