Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can I get temporary custody of my granddaughter until her

Customer Question
mother,my daughter can get herself...
Can I get temporary custody of my granddaughter until her mother,my daughter can get herself in better shape of her life. She is under the influence of drugs and works at bars. Usually nights and doesn't take good care of my granddaughter who is 4 years old. She brings strange men home and they stay at her home and I worry that my granddaughter is NOT BEING CARED FOR. She also has a son who is 8 in the 3rd grade he seems to get more attention from his mother and I think he is the only one that can help her. He is such a great son and watches out for her better.
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't. I have my granddaughter with me now. I can see that she is not taken care of. She is so happy when she is here with me and her grampa. I don't want to take her away from her mom I just want to help my granddaughter. And I think it might make my daughter snap out of the troubling life she is in.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am afraid for all of them. But especially for my granddaughter. She is around weird and drug affected people. She is usually unattended while her mom sleeps all day or around the wrong people all day. I can see the difference in her attitude and I can see that she is afraid of what she sees and I don't know what to do. I have another daughter who is willing to help also and totally agrees that something has to change. We're all very concerned
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/28/2016
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

All you can do is to apply to be appointed as a Temporary Legal Guardian over your granddaughter and use the fats of drug use and neglect as a basis for the petition to the court. I presume that the mother will fight you on this and therefore you will really want to have a seasoned family law attorney or a probate attorney representing you if you want to have a reasonable chance of success. But yes, you are in a position to petition the court to be appointed as the child's Temporary Legal Guardian.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law