How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NYCLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 56559
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
NYCLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who came to the country from Peru about 15

This answer was rated:

I have a friend who came to the country from Peru about 15 years ago. She has a child support hearing tomorrow and asked me to help her.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida She can't afford an attorney.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She makes $2,000 a month and when he stopped paying child support she has fallen way behind.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think her child support is well below what it should be given the circumstances and she needs help.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

are you asking if support can be modified in light of her financial condition?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She was awarded child support. He asked for modification due to tax liens. Dept. of Revenue started the process of a hearing to determine child support now. Mathematically speaking, she has been underpaid for 3 and a half years. But, she isn't from this country and is scared to go by herself.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just need to know if I can assist (represent) her in Florida court.

The court should order him to pay the arrears, and issue a judgment for the balance.

It should not permit downward midification where her expenses exist, and he should be required to file a detailed financial statement with back up showing his other obligations, but none of which take priority over the one to her for support.

Only a lawyer can represent, but the court is generally relaxed in these cases and should permit you to consult with her, but not speak for her unless she signs a power of attorney.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.

very welcome

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

NYCLAWYER and 11 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions