How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28366
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of North Carolina can a temporary custody

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we be of help?
Customer: In the state of North Carolina can a temporary custody agreement be written up and signed by a notary ?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the custody agreement will be a daughter giving her father (the grand father) temp. custody
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Please allow me a moment to respond.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Can you share with me why the mother wants to do this? Is the father involved at all? How old is the child?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the mother is in some legal trouble and will probably be arrested the father is not on the birth certificate so as of now he doesnt have a legal claim to her and she is 3 months old we are trying to make sure that the grandfather gets her for now til the moms legal troubles are sorted out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if you call me is it a flat fee of $59
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Yes, there is nothing wrong with the mother wanting to leave the child with her father. However, having her and the grandfather sign and notarize a document, only makes the agreement between themselves, binding. It does not really give it any legal effect within the courts or to allow it to be enforced or even enforceable. If the grandfather needed to act and make a decision on behalf of the child, this may not be enough. As such, they should proceed through the court and have it ordered, since they agreed, so the grandfather has a court order with legal effect, to act.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will not be charged some kind of monthly fee for this will I ?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

No, not unless you signed up for a membership. If not, then once you rate my help at the top, the site will give me the proper credit and that will be all.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!