Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

What happens if a couple got married in the US ...there's

Customer Question

What happens if a couple got married in the US ...there's one child after marriage. Because of abuse and other factors the wife left the country and is waiting the green card. The husband has since refused to sign the affadavit of support and is not taking care of gthe child financially BUT he claims for her on his taxes annually. What is the wife option
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that. Per US law you are entitled to both spousal support and child support. There is a state agency in Connecticut that can help establish your child support obligation and that child support and spousal support may be enough to proof self sufficiency to the immigration services. Here is a link to their website. Contact them asap. https://www.jud.ct.gov/childsupport/

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

If you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello...you answer was extremely vague. I explained that I don't live in the US. Are you saying that I can access this service in CT online? What are my options while STAYING overseas?

So even if you are not here, you can avail the services of the state agency. Staying overseas should not prohibit you from being able to get the child support. Alternatively you can hire an attorney to pursue the affidavit of support and the child support but it would need to be an attorney where your husband lives so that they can file in that local court.