How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117392
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to finish my divorce without the use of

Customer Question

I am trying to finish my divorce without the use of attorneys and I am working on the final property settlement. It's been 4.5 years of horrible fighting but we are most of the way done... The family home has been sold as well as some cars, horses, etc. We have agreed on custody, child support and alimony, but there is still a sum of money from the sale of the House that needs to be divided. There are also lots of things that need to be reimbursed, more to me, some to him, and I have put together a very detailed spreadsheet of these numbers with support for everything including case law (I'm a CPA so it's an audit proof document). The outcome I am wanting from this filing is to have one more court date and get it finalized because it's just about the property settlement. I'm sure there will be things my x husband will argue with but I'm hoping those items will be just a few after we "meet and confer" and the judge can decide on those items that day. Based on that as my intention, please tell me how I should proceed, and specifically, what form(s) do I need to file. This is California.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
IF you are going to be signing a property settlement agreement, that is what is filed with the court, no form is filed with the court. If you want to meet and confer, then you need to file a motion for status conference with the clerk and they will set a meeting with the judge. However, that motion goes on a blank motion form. Your property settlement is just on a blank motion form as well with the details of your settlement agreement and you can attach your spreadsheets as well documenting the funds. There are no other forms for this. If you still dispute the items after the status conference, then you need to set the matter for a final community property hearing by filling out an FL 300 asking for a community property order finalizing the case.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My X husband has not agreed to the property settlement, so I need to get him to court so that we can get one of those court appointed lawyers to try to get us to settle. What form do I need to file in order to get that court date or status conference, whatever it's called? And since I already know he is contesting things, shouldn't I just file the FL 300 and ask for finalizing the case?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you please respond?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay, but as you can see I start early in the mornings and sometimes about 7PM is the ending of my day.
You need to file tor FL 300 and ask the court to set the matter for a property division hearing and the court will set a conference before the hearing to determine how close you and your ex are to settlement. You would attach a copy of the proposed property settlement to the FL 300 and you serve him a copy and file a proof of service that you served your ex with a copy by regular mail. The court will send out notices of the dates.

Related Family Law Questions