How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is a proper way to answer to a summons concerning

Customer Question

What is a proper way to answer to a summons concerning termination of parental rights?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Is this being made by the other parent?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is. Mt ex is trying to take my son away after keeping him from me for over a 1 year now.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this;

basically one needs to file a response, refuting the allegations and the grounds (grounds are listed in statute here)

examples of cases are here:

also please see this attorney guide:

It is best to hire an attorney as the response is not a standard form but rather needs to be custom drafted; a party can request that the other parent pay legal fees if they are financially more well off.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so I was wrong it was a petition for readoption of my son. I have not lost or had my parental rights terminated. So how is it they are even considering a readoption without a terminations of rights?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 8 months ago.

Per code 1-22-109, both parents' consent is required; this can be obtained prior to, or during, an adoption proceeding; so presumably the adoption papers are being filed, and during that process a request is being made for consent/termination. The unwilling parent can object as it is their constitutional right to do so.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 7 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Related Family Law Questions