Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I have a probate question about an estate in Nebraska, A

Customer Question

I have a probate question about an estate in Nebraska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A public notice has been filed concerning creditors.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to find out if I was in my fathers will, I have had no contact with family for many years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone whocan. There may be a slight delay in myresponses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Can you tell me when father passed?

.

How did you come to find out about the notice?

.

Has anyone contacted you regarding his estate?

.

Have you checked to see if a probate case has been filed?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
July 28, 2016

Ok, if someone has filed a probate case and published a creditor's notice, then that means that the probate case has just recently been opened.

.

The executor of any will has a duty to contact all the heirs and interested parties about the opening of the estate and the creditor notice is the first thing that happens. So it might be that the executor has just not gotten around to contacting you yet.

.

But if there is a probate case filed in the local probate court in the county where father lived, it is a public record. And any will would have been filed along with the probate petition. So you can contact the probate court and get a copy of the entire probate file, including any will, to see if you are a named beneficiary of his estate.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My sister contacted my daughter by instant message on Facebook and told her my father had died. My daughter had not had any contact with my family since she was 5 years old and let me know. My sister asked her for an address so she could send something. A couple of weeks later my daughter received a saving bond issued in 1968 to me and was asked to give this to me. My daughter looked on my si

We posted at about the same time so I don' know if you saw my response above.. I will copy it again..

.

.

.

.

.

thanks