How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4078
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I reverse an adoption, that I did,?? meaning I

Customer Question

how can I reverse an adoption, that I did,?? meaning I signed the relinguishment on Nov 1st. and the whole time I felt I was pressured and was mentally forced to give her to another family. I had no one on my side to help me.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nevada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ...dont know what you mean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, I got a letter from the guy who got me prego, but dont want to have his parental rights.. dont want to be found, but want ME to care for her...
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am sorry that you feel that you were pressured into the adoption. If you want to try to revoke the adoption you need to act quickly. Below I will link references to legal assistance so that you can contact them ASAP.

Generally, once the consent and authorization is signed it can not be revoked. BUT you make be able to take steps to challenge your agreement to the adoption based on undue influence and duress. The other issue is that BOTH parents need to consent to the adoption. If the father did not he can challenge the adoption. I know you stated that he did not want to come forward, but if he wants to challenge the adoption he will need to IF you can not prevail on the duress issue.

Here are links to the law and other resources regarding the adoption:

Here is a link to legal resources that may be able to help you. Call them as soon as you can:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you.... this is not a question,.... but I am an disabled, but not broken Army Veteran, who got prego from a guy I met 1 time, in Feb. 2016,.he then moved away in June. Dont know his name, address or number. I have tried to contact any legal service from the VA... no one has returned any of my calls.
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.


Thank you for your service. My son is a veteran too. Afghanistan - Marine. So I have a real feelings for vets.

I don't know what you can do if you can not contact the father. You can pursue the Duress issue BUT without an attorney it is going to be difficult.

You can file a Petition to Set Aside the Adoption in the County Court.

There is no form for it because it doesn't happen often and it is hard to succeed with it even with an attorney.

Basically you will prepare a document where you will ask the court to set aside the adoption because you did not sign the consent and waiver under your own free will but rather were subjected to duress and coersion. You will need to specify what actions were take to coerce you.

I sincerely ***** ***** the very best with this.

Kind regards,


(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** agency have not told me or otherwise "dont know" the date of the hearing for this adoption... for this state, however. But cuz the family is in Daytona, Fl. I dont know if I have to go there or have some letter to do that as well...
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.

You will need to start in the state where the adoption began and notify the adoption agency and the other family if you know who they are. But this is going to be difficult. I do not want to build up false hope in you. Once you signed those papers it is very very difficult to reverse this.

I am sorry to tell you that but you need to know that if you go forward it is going to be very difficult.

Good luck.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do know who they are, it is an open adoption. I will let the courts here know and then tell the family and other agency. thank you.just one thing, now that I got a few answers to get this going.... how do I not get charged over the $5 bucks? (since I wont be asking any more questions, for the monthly rates)
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 10 months ago.


You notify the agency and parents by serving them a copy of the Petition that you file in Court. You serve them by having the documents sent to them in a way that you know that they received them. You can use Certified Mail Return Receipt, or have the sheriff serve them.

As far as the billing for your question I do not know how that works. I do not work for Just Answer as an employee. I am separate.

You rate me (click the five stars) so that I can get credit.

If there is an issue with the bill you can call customer service:

1(###) ###-####/p>

Good luck.

Kind regards,