How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42855
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I got divorced I made $5000 more than my wife so I was

Customer Question

When I got divorced I made $5000 more than my wife so I was deemed the non-custodial parent and ordered to pay $400 in support despite having joint 50/50 custody. Seven years later my wife now makes $20,000 more than I do and I still pay support. Do you think I can get a modification in order to have her pay me or at the very least not pay support anymore? I am from NY
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Yes I do this is a change in circumstances that should either terminate ir say cut it significantly.The incomes have changed, it should at the least be lowered significantly.You have the facts to file and seek to do so.

Forms and self help

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

After the court determines both parents’ incomes, it then selects an applicable percentage, which is based on the number of children. The combined income of both parents is then multiplied by this percentage to determine the amount of child support.

The New York child support percentages are:

17% of income for one child

25% of income for two children

29% of income for three children

31% of income for four children

35% of income for five or more children.

The above formula is used for a combined income of up to $136,000.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Good luck here, you have great facts.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.