How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an order of default has been issued against me in wyoming

Customer Question

If an order of default has been issued against me in wyoming concerning an termination of my rights and adoption procedures have been started what can I do to stop it
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wyoming
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Many times I was even turned down by legal aid said because I can't get a fair hearing with this judge it's pointless so they won't represent me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a closed hearing on the 22nd of this month for the same judge to make it final or something.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have an order of default, the only thing you can do is file a motion to vacate order of default and you need to explain why default should not be issued and the good cause why the court should appoint an attorney for you since this involves a termination of a constitutional right if you cannot afford an attorney. If your motion to vacate default is denied, then you would have to file an appeal of the judgment of adoption to the court of appeals and the legal aid attorneys know that and know that an appeal would take it out of this judge's hands so they would not have to deal with that judge on appeal.
However, at the first you have to file the motion to vacate order of default and you need to explain you are being denied due process and your civil right pursuant to Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000), where the US Supreme Court held your parental rights would not be infringed or removed without clear and convincing evidence you are unfit.
You need to also consider hiring a private attorney if at all possible, because that will significantly increase your chances of success.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions