Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If an order of default has been issued against me in wyoming

Customer Question
concerning an termination of my...
If an order of default has been issued against me in wyoming concerning an termination of my rights and adoption procedures have been started what can I do to stop it
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wyoming
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Many times I was even turned down by legal aid said because I can't get a fair hearing with this judge it's pointless so they won't represent me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a closed hearing on the 22nd of this month for the same judge to make it final or something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have an order of default, the only thing you can do is file a motion to vacate order of default and you need to explain why default should not be issued and the good cause why the court should appoint an attorney for you since this involves a termination of a constitutional right if you cannot afford an attorney. If your motion to vacate default is denied, then you would have to file an appeal of the judgment of adoption to the court of appeals and the legal aid attorneys know that and know that an appeal would take it out of this judge's hands so they would not have to deal with that judge on appeal.
However, at the first you have to file the motion to vacate order of default and you need to explain you are being denied due process and your civil right pursuant to Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000), where the US Supreme Court held your parental rights would not be infringed or removed without clear and convincing evidence you are unfit.
You need to also consider hiring a private attorney if at all possible, because that will significantly increase your chances of success.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer