Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Our son has been placed on a restraining order to stay away

Customer Question
from his wife for 2...
Our son has been placed on a restraining order to stay away from his wife for 2 years. The judge ordered him to pay child support. Before the restraining order he was the monthly electric bill and 1/2 the mortgagee. Since he is now paying the child support and has rental expenses does he leagally still have to pay the 1/2 mortgage and entire electric bill? 2. Also we are 90% sure that his wife has her boy friend living with her and our son's child.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the child support was court ordered yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have other questions but let's start with this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2016
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Generally speaking, no, he doesn't, not if he was ordered to pay child support. There may be something called a "standing order" however, that may speak to this. Standing Orders are usually attached to the initial pleading for divorce/restraining order, whatever's been filed and don't require a hearing to go into effect. So your son should carefully read all the paperwork that he's been served with and make sure there are no orders requiring him to maintain household bills/payments.

Otherwise, if child support is all that was ordered then that's all he legally has to pay.

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney