How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our son has been placed on a restraining order to stay away

Customer Question

Our son has been placed on a restraining order to stay away from his wife for 2 years. The judge ordered him to pay child support. Before the restraining order he was the monthly electric bill and 1/2 the mortgagee. Since he is now paying the child support and has rental expenses does he leagally still have to pay the 1/2 mortgage and entire electric bill? 2. Also we are 90% sure that his wife has her boy friend living with her and our son's child.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the child support was court ordered yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have other questions but let's start with this.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 8 months ago.

Generally speaking, no, he doesn't, not if he was ordered to pay child support. There may be something called a "standing order" however, that may speak to this. Standing Orders are usually attached to the initial pleading for divorce/restraining order, whatever's been filed and don't require a hearing to go into effect. So your son should carefully read all the paperwork that he's been served with and make sure there are no orders requiring him to maintain household bills/payments.

Otherwise, if child support is all that was ordered then that's all he legally has to pay.