Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My niece is living with me and her grandmother went into a

Customer Question
nursing home but hasn't revised or...
my niece is living with me and her grandmother went into a nursing home
but hasn't revised or revoked her guardianship ..I believe due to financial reasons ..my nieces mother was unable to care for her so she appointed the grandmother in 2002..she is now in a wheelchair in a nursing home and wants to remain guardian but niece resides w me and I cannot be involved in any aspect with education medical etc..is this legal?
what can I do without causing a huge rift if she won't release or transfer guardianship?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If she refuses to release or transfer guardianship, you need to ask the niece's mother to try to reason with her, since the niece's mother can ask the court to change the guardianship at any time. However, if you cannot get the mother to agree to do this and the grandmother is that unreasonable that she will not transfer the guardianship to you despite not being able to properly care for the child, the only thing you can do is file in court to remove her as guardian based on her being incapable of being a proper guardian and it is not in the best interests of the child for her to remain as guardian.

I would suggest to her that she can retain guardianship, but to make you co-guardian, which would allow you to have rights while she cannot act and is in the nursing home. If she refuses, you have no choice but to go to court to have her removed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer