How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27053
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of, if a parent of a minor who is being charged

Customer Question

In the state of Washington, if a parent of a minor who is being charged with felonies is unable to afford a lawyer, and one is appointed by the state, can the parent be kept away from the decisions being made on behalf of the minor?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

The lawyer's obligation is to his client and not to his client's parents. A lawyer is expected to have a normal attorney-client relationship, which means he would want to speak to his client privately without interference from any other party. Unless a minor is not capable of understanding his predicament and his lawyer's advice and of making decisions in his interest, the decisions about the case belong to the minor.

If the client wishes his parents to be privy to his discussions with his lawyer, the lawyer can let the parents be there. However, the decisions about the case must come from the client and not from his parents.

You can see the attorney's ethical and professional responsibilities here. Look at the comment section towards the bottom of the page and subsection 3.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.