Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I just received a letter from social security notifing me

Customer Question
that the state of texas...
I just received a letter from social security notifing me that the state of texas garnishing 65% of my ssdi check. I haven't been able to work since 2008. my daughter will be 27 1/7/2016. ihave been through a cancer battle and multiple other issues going back to 1998. the amount owed including the 9 years arrears is $150,000. with the deduction I will receive $640 a month which will not even cover rent or food and copay on meds. I have $50,000 in medical bills out standing also. multiple items in collection agencies and I am a touch overwhelmed. any advice would be great. I also live in Colorado whick makes it evn more complicated
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: child support issue texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no but plan on going to Colorado legal services Monday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I ended up in the hospital Monday aftrer receiving the letter with chest pains after being in the 5 weeks earlier with heart issues
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/18/2016
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 12 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Ok i just don't want to do anything stupid

Hello:

Colorado Legal Services will likely not be able help you, if the State of Texas is the state that holds your arrears. The only person who is able to waive the arrears is your ex, unfortunately. If she will not waive the arrears, a Judge cannot force her to do so, no matter your economic or physical status. Texas is one of the more difficult states to deal with on this issue, sadly. They do not allow for much wiggle room.

Thank you

You are welcome.

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney