How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9995
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in and my 77 year old father lives in Maryland. My 17

Customer Question

I live in Virginia and my 77 year old father lives in Maryland. My 17 year old daughter would like to live with him but not attend school. While Virginia has a compulsory attendance law through age 18, it appears Maryland caps off at age 16. How do I establish residency for my daughter in Maryland, as she wants to look after my father during his cancer treatments. It is only an hour drive between us.
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We are currently in Virginia but interested in Maryland law.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think my first paragraph explained everything.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to hear of the grandfather's declining health.
In order for the child to be able to live under the care of the grandfather, the grandfather would need to petition the court for guardianship. If it is not opposed by the parent, it is not as complicated of a procedure.
Please see:

required forms are here:

If the parent is unable to care for the child due, for example, to illness, then kinship care is appropriate - please see:

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly

-Rate Positively-

This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 9 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Related Family Law Questions